Claiming Sickness Allowance

You can claim Sickness Allowance if you can’t work or study for a short time.

Before you start

You should:

  • check if you’re eligible for Sickness Allowance
  • set up a Centrelink online account so you can claim online – if you already have an account and it’s still active you won’t need to start a new one
  • gather the information you need for your claim, including:
    • your tax file number
    • your bank account details, and
    • your and your partner’s income and asset details, and
    • a Centrelink medical certificate from your doctor

Start your claim

It’s best to start your claim online. Claiming online is secure, quick and easy.

You can save your online application to finish and submit within 14 days. If you take longer than 14 days, you may have to start the claim again.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account. Your myGov account must be linked to Centrelink.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN). Find this on a letter we’ve sent you and register for a Centrelink online account.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID and tell us you want to register for a Centrelink online account.

You can then create a myGov account and select Services to link Centrelink.

If you can’t claim online

You can:

Submit your claim

You need to give us any supporting documents we ask for, including a Centrelink medical certificate from your doctor.

You can do this:

You may need to provide:

If we ask you to confirm your identity, you’ll need to do this at a service centre within 14 days. We may reject your claim if you don’t.

Wait for the result

We’ll tell you:

  • if we grant or reject your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you, and
  • how much you’ll get

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 6 December 2017