You have up to 52 weeks starting on your baby’s date of birth to make a claim.
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible for Stillborn Baby Payment
- find the information you need for your claim
- submit your claim within 52 weeks from your baby’s date of birth
Information you need for your claim
Make sure you have all of this information when claiming. You’ll need all the same details for your partner as well.
- your Centrelink Reference Number if you've dealt with us before
- your passport number if you have one
- the date you first arrived in Australia, if you weren’t born here
- any dates when you lived outside Australia
- your bank account details
- your tax file number
- details of the hospital where you had your baby
- your income
When to claim
You have up to 52 weeks to claim. This starts from your baby’s date of birth.
We may be able to give you more time if you need it because:
- you had a severe illness to do with the birth, or
- you applied for Parental Leave Pay but couldn’t receive it
Start your claim
It’s best to start your claim online.
If you already have a myGov account
Sign in to myGov to link to your Centrelink online account and do your Centrelink business.
If you have a Centrelink online account
To do your business online, you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account.
If you don't have a myGov account, create one today. Once you have created your account, you can link it to your Centrelink online account. Watch the video and read more on how to link your online account to myGov.
If you don't have a Centrelink online account
If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before
You’ll have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.
This is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.
If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before
This is anyone who’s never had a payment or concession from us before.
If you can't claim online
You’ll need to fill in a paper Claim for Bereavement Payment form.
The hospital or midwife may have given you this form already.
If you can't print the form:
The form will tell you which documents you need to give us. This may include:
- proof of your income
- a letter from the doctor or midwife who was at your baby’s birth, giving:
- your full name
- the date and place of birth
- the baby’s gender
- the baby’s weight
- the gestation period
- the Proof of Birth declaration on the back of the Claim for Bereavement Payment form – the doctor or midwife who was at the birth must complete this form
Submit your application
You need to give us:
- your application form
- any other forms or documents we’ve asked for
You can do this:
- online if you have a Centrelink online account
- at a service centre
- by post to the address on the form
You can submit your documents online.
Wait for the result
We’ll tell you in writing:
- if we accept your claim
- when we’ll start paying you
- how much you’ll receive
If we don’t agree
We’ll tell you in writing.
You have the right to appeal our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.