Claiming Stillborn Baby Payment

You have up to 52 weeks starting on your baby’s date of birth to make a claim.

Before you start

You should:

  • check if you’re eligible for Stillborn Baby Payment
  • find the information you need for your claim
  • submit your claim within 52 weeks from your baby’s date of birth

Information you need for your claim

Make sure you have all of this information when claiming. You’ll need all the same details for your partner as well.

  • your Centrelink Reference Number if you've dealt with us before
  • your passport number if you have one
  • the date you first arrived in Australia, if you weren’t born here
  • any dates when you lived outside Australia
  • your bank account details
  • your tax file number
  • details of the hospital where you had your baby
  • your income

When to claim

You have up to 52 weeks to claim. This starts from your baby’s date of birth.

We may be able to give you more time if you need it because:

  • you had a severe illness to do with the birth, or
  • you applied for Parental Leave Pay but couldn’t receive it

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account. Your myGov account must be linked to Centrelink.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN). Find this on a letter we’ve sent you and register for a Centrelink online account.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID and tell us you want to register for a Centrelink online account.

You can then create a myGov account and select Services to link Centrelink.

If you can't claim online

You’ll need to fill in a paper Claim for Bereavement Payment form.

The hospital or midwife may have given you this form already.

If you can't print the form:


The form will tell you which documents you need to give us. This may include:

  • proof of your income
  • a letter from the doctor or midwife who was at your baby’s birth, giving:
    • your full name
    • the date and place of birth
    • the baby’s gender
    • the baby’s weight
    • the gestation period
  • the Proof of Birth declaration on the back of the Claim for Bereavement Payment form – the doctor or midwife who was at the birth must complete this form

Submit your application

You need to give us:

  • your application form
  • any other forms or documents we’ve asked for

You can do this:

  • online if you have a Centrelink online account
  • at a service centre
  • by post to the address on the form

You can submit your documents online.

Wait for the result

We’ll tell you in writing:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you
  • how much you’ll receive

If we don’t agree

We’ll tell you in writing.

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 29 November 2017