Claiming Youth Allowance

You should submit your claim for Youth Allowance as early as you can.

Before you start

Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim. We assess eligibility on:

  • your age
  • if you’re doing an approved course or activity
  • if you’re dependent or independent
  • income and assets, and
  • Australian residence rules

You must have an active Centrelink online account to claim online. If you don’t, register for an online account.

Before you start your claim, you need these details:

  • your income and assets
  • your partner’s income and assets
  • bank account - if you’re under 18, you need your parent’s bank account details
  • tax file number - if you don’t have one, apply now on the Australian Taxation Office website
  • previous study details
  • new or planned study details
  • accommodation
  • Employment Separation Certificate from your employer if you’re a job seeker and stopped working in the last 12 months

If you want to claim as independent because you’re turning 22, you can submit your claim up to 13 weeks before your birthday. If you claim early, you can start getting the independent rate as soon as you turn 22.

If you meet independence criteria, you won’t have to provide your parents’ or guardians’ income details.

If you’re dependent, your parents’ income may affect your payment. We’ll tell you if we need their income details.

We’ll tell you if you need to complete any other forms.

You can submit supporting documents online.

When to claim

You can claim Youth Allowance up to 13 weeks before you start your course or apprenticeship if you:

  • plan to study full time, or
  • are doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship

If you’re a job seeker, you can claim before your last day of work. To claim early as a job seeker, visit a service centre.

Start your claim

You can claim Youth Allowance online.

Start your claim online

If you already have a myGov account

Sign in to myGov to link to your Centrelink online account and do your Centrelink business.

Sign in to myGov

If you have a Centrelink online account

To do your business online, you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account.

If you don't have a myGov account, create one today. Once you have created your account, you can link it to your Centrelink online account. Watch the video and read more on how to link your online account to myGov.

Create a myGov account

If you don't have a Centrelink online account

If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before

You’ll have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.

This is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.

If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before

Visit a service centre and tell us you want to register for an online account. You’ll need to bring photo ID with you.

This is anyone who’s never had a payment or concession from us before.


Unable to claim online

If you can’t claim online, contact us or complete the preliminary claim for Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance, or Parenting Payment form.

Submit your claim and documents

Students and Australian Apprentices

Once you start your claim, we’ll tell you if we need to see any identity documents before you can submit it. This will appear as a message in the online claim. If you’ve started the process to confirm your identity at a service centre or Agent you can submit your other supporting documents online. Use our Document Lodgement Service within the online claim or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

After you’ve answered the claim questions, you'll get a checklist so you know exactly what you need to give us. You need to supply all required documents on your claim checklist and submit your claim within 14 days. This is so we can assess it from the earliest possible date. If you don’t submit your claim, it will expire 13 weeks from the start date of the claim. If this happens, you need to start a new claim.

Track your claim

Subscribe to electronic messaging to get SMS or email notifications about the progress of your claim. We’ll also notify you if we need more information to process your claim.  

Job seekers

We’ll tell you at the end of the process if we need any more information. You need to submit this within 14 days or it may affect the start date of your payment. The sooner we get your documents, the sooner we can work out your payment.

If you claim online, you need to book an appointment online to assess your Mutual Obligation Requirements. We’ll call you at the time and date you choose. You must book this appointment within 14 days of submitting your claim.

Claim outcome

We’ll tell you:

  • if your claim is successful
  • when your payment starts
  • how much you'll get

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017