Voiceprint is a quick and easy way to confirm your identity when you phone us. You just need to create a voiceprint and save it with us.
Your voiceprint is unique to you. It’s a way of using your voice to confirm your identity.
A voiceprint uses the distinctive features in your voice, such as its sound, rhythm and pattern to create a digital print of your voice. We call this your voiceprint.
Once you've created a voiceprint, you can use it when you call us.
There are a number of benefits of creating and using voiceprint:
- you save time confirming your identity when you phone us
- you don’t need to remember or use your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- you don’t need to answer security questions every time you call us
- it’s a secure way of confirming your identity
- you can choose to create a voiceprint at a time that suits you or when you next call us
When you call, we confirm your identity by matching the features of your voice to your voiceprint.
Create a voiceprint
Creating a voiceprint is optional. You can upgrade to a voiceprint the next time you call us.
Our telephone system may automatically ask if you want to create a voiceprint. You can also talk to a service officer and ask them about creating a voiceprint.
To create a voiceprint, you’ll need a Centrelink PIN and Customer Reference Number (CRN).
To create your voiceprint:
- phone us on your regular payment or service line
- listen to our recorded messages
- enter your Customer Reference Number (CRN) and PIN
- accept the offer of voiceprint
- you'll be asked to repeat the phrase In Australia, my voice identifies me 3 times. We use this to create your voiceprint
- we’ll then ask you to answer security questions
- if you answer these questions correctly, we will confirm that you have successfully created your voiceprint
You will be able to use your voiceprint to confirm your identity in future.
To use your voiceprint, phone us on your regular payment or service line:
- when asked, enter your CAN or CRN
- when prompted, repeat the phrase In Australia my voice identifies me to confirm your identity
- you can then access the main menu and do your business with us
Security, privacy and fraud
Voiceprint is secure, accurate and reliable.
When you phone us, our system checks your voice against the voiceprint you created. It uses secure technologies to hear parts of your voice that are different to those heard by the human ear.
Voiceprint allows for background noise, your accent and changes in your voice. You can even use voiceprint if you have a cold.
It is very difficult for someone to access your personal information. The system can tell when someone is pretending to be you or using a recording of your voice. We won’t give them access to your details.
Read more about other ways we help you stay safe online.
Delete your voiceprint
You can delete your voiceprint at any time. For security reasons, you'll need to phone us on your usual payment or service line, and speak to one of our staff who will be able to help you.