Eligibility for an assurance of support

To be eligible to become an assurer for an assurance of support you must meet certain criteria.

To be an assurer you must:

  • pass the income test for 2 financial years – this year and last year
  • be an Australian resident
  • be 18 or older
  • give us proof of identity
  • be able to get a bank guarantee if we ask for one

Income test

The income you need to pass this test depends on:

  • how many people are in your immediate family
  • if you’ll have 1 or 2 adult assurees
  • if you’ll be the only assurer or giving a joint assurance
  • how many dependent children you have

To find out more, call the assurance of support for visa applicants line or ask at a service centre.

Incorporated and unincorporated organisations

Incorporated and unincorporated organisations must:

  • be genuine
  • be able to support the assuree

Proof we need

You need to give us proof of:

  • registration
  • steady trading for at least 24 months before the date when you apply

You also need to prove that you haven’t set it up just to be able to give an assurance of support.

Proof of this can be:

  • tax returns
  • letters from your accountant
  • a statement from the Australian Securities Investments Commission (ASIC)

Income and bank guarantee

There’s no income test for organisations but they must always give a bank guarantee.

Page last updated: 6 February 2018