To be eligible for the Relocation Scholarship you must meet certain criteria.
Who can get it
To get a Relocation Scholarship you must:
- study full time in an approved scholarship course
- be a dependent student, or
- have a special reason why you’re independent
- need to move to or from a regional or remote area to study
35 day rules
You must also:
- start or continue approved study within 35 days of qualifying for the scholarship each year, and
- still be doing approved study on day 35 after the date
- your course starts, or
- you qualify for the scholarship
Before we pay
You must get at least $1 of Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or Energy Supplement.
Keep your details up to date
If you move away from home to study, you must tell us about any:
- changes to your family home address
- changes to your place of study
You need to do this:
- at the start of your course
- at the start of each year, or
- if your study plans change
You can check and update your details at any time:
Who can't get it
You can’t get this payment:
- if your family home and place of study are in a major city when you start studying, even if it’s a different one
- you don’t get Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or Energy Supplement
- you’re eligible for a Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship from the Department of Education and Training
- you get a Relocation Scholarship from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- you live on campus and get ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option, unless you got the offer to live there after we paid your scholarship
If you stop being eligible
If you stop meeting all the eligibility rules, your scholarship will stop.
You may need to pay us back if you don’t continue to meet the 35 day rules.
35 day rules
When you need to pay us back
You’ll have to pay us back if we’ve already paid your scholarship for the year and:
- you didn’t start or continue your course within 35 days after your qualifying date, or
- you’re not in approved full time study on the 35th day after your course started
When we won’t pay
If the end date of your course is less than 35 days after your qualifying date, we won’t pay the scholarship. This is because you won’t be eligible for long enough.
How to get it
You don’t need to apply for Relocation Scholarship.
We check if you’re eligible for it each year while you’re getting Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or Energy Supplement.
If you’re moving from a city to a regional area to study, you need to show your course is at a regional campus. We’ll send you a letter and a Verification of Campus form asking you to do this.
This can be:
You need to:
- fill in the student part of the Verification of Campus form
- get your course provider to fill in the Campus details part of the form and sign it
- submit the form and any requested documents to us
If your family home is in a regional or remote area, you don’t need to complete the form.
Read more about your family home for Relocation Scholarship.