To be eligible for the Relocation Scholarship you must meet certain criteria.
Who can get it
To get a Relocation Scholarship you must:
- be full time in an approved scholarship course
- be a dependent student, or
- have a special reason why you’re independent
- be on:
- move to or from a regional or remote area to study
35 day rules
You must also:
- start or restart approved study within 35 days after your qualifying date for this scholarship
- still be doing approved study on day 35 after
- the course start date, or
- your qualifying date for this scholarship
Before we pay
You must get at least $1 of Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY Living Allowance.
Keep your details up to date
If you move away from home to study, you must keep us up to date on your:
- family home address
- place of study
You need to do this:
- at the start of your course
- at the start of each year
Who can't get it
You can’t get this payment if:
- you’re from a major city and studying in a major city, even a different one
- you’re on a Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY rate of $0, even if you get Pharmaceutical Allowance or Rent Assistance
- you’re eligible for a Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship from the Department of Education and Training
- you get a Relocation Scholarship from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- you live on campus and get ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option, unless you got the offer to live there after we paid your scholarship
If you stop being eligible
If you stop meeting all the eligibility rules, your scholarship will stop.
Normally you won’t need to pay us back. You just won’t get a payment next year.
You may need to pay us back if you don’t meet the 35 day rules.
35 day rules
When you need to pay us back
You’ll have to pay us back if we’ve already paid your scholarship for the year and:
- you didn’t start or restart your course within 35 days after your qualifying date, or
- you’re not in approved full time study on the 35th day after your course started
When we won’t pay
If the end date of your course is less than 35 days after your qualifying date, we won’t pay the scholarship. This is because you won’t be eligible for long enough.
How to get it
You don’t need to apply for Relocation Scholarship.
We check if you’re eligible for it each year while you’re on Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY Living Allowance. If you are, you’ll get it.
If you’re moving from a city to a regional area to study, you need to show your course is at a regional campus. We’ll send you a letter and a Verification of Campus form asking you to do this.
This can be:
You need to:
- fill in the student part of the Verification of Campus form
- get your course provider to fill in the Campus details part of the form and sign it
- submit the form and any requested documents to us
If your family home is in a regional or remote area, you don’t need to do this.