To be eligible to become an assurer for an assurance of support you must meet certain criteria.
To be an assurer you must:
- pass the income test for the current and previous financial year
- be an Australian resident
- be 18 or older
- give us proof of identity, and
- be able to get a bank guarantee if we ask for one
An organisation can be an assurer too. To do this they must be:
- a genuine incorporated or unincorporated organisation, and
- able to support the assuree
They need to give us proof:
- of registration
- of steady trading for at least 24 months before the date they apply
The organisation must be genuine and not just recently set up to give an assurance of support.
To prove an organisation is genuine we need to see:
- tax returns
- letters from their accountant, or
- a statement from the Australian Securities Investments Commission (ASIC)
Check if you’re eligible
You need to pass an income test to be eligible.
The income you need to pass this test depends on:
- how many people are in your immediate family
- if you’ll have 1 or 2 adult assurees
- if you’ll be the only assurer or giving a joint assurance
- how many dependent children you have
If you’re an organisation, the income test doesn’t apply to you, but you must give us a bank guarantee.
You don’t need to give us a bank guarantee if you’re an organisation supporting someone in the Community Support Program. This is the only visa type where organisations don’t need to give a bank guarantee.
If you’re still not sure if you’re eligible: