We’ll send you a new Medicare card about 4 weeks before your current card expires.
If your address has changed
Update your details if you’ve changed your address. If you don’t and your card expires, your card will go to your previous address and you’ll need to request a replacement card.
If you need to request a replacement card, you can:
- use your Medicare online account through myGov or the Express Plus Medicare mobile app
- call the Medicare general enquiries line, we’ll confirm your identity over the phone
- visit a service centre with proof of your identity such as your driver’s licence
- send us a signed letter by mail and include
- your Medicare card number
- your address, and
- a certified copy of identification such as your driver's licence
If your card has expired
If your card expired 6 months ago or more, visit a service centre to request a replacement. You'll need an identity document, such as your driver’s licence. You may also need to show evidence you’re living in Australia. You should also bring 2 documents to prove you live in Australia like a utility bill, rental agreement or employment contract.
If you’re overseas
If you’re overseas, we can’t replace your card until you return to Australia to live.
This includes if you’re:
- an Australian citizen who’s overseas for more than 5 years
- an Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen who’s overseas for more than 12 months