The Extended Medicare Safety Net (EMSN) concessional threshold applies to Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders, Health Care Card holders and Pensioner Concession Card holders.
Concession card holders
If you have a card during the calendar year you’re eligible for the concessional threshold for rest of that year.
To be considered a concessional family:
- 2 or more people in your safety net family must have an eligible concession card, and
- 1 of the people with a concession card must be the safety net family contact or spouse
Only members of your registered safety net family, who have a concession card, are eligible for the concessional safety net threshold.
All other members of your safety net family, without a concession card, aren’t part of the concessional family. They’re not eligible for the concessional safety net threshold.
- a registered safety net family contact has a concession card, so they’re a concessional individual
- their dependant, who’s also part of their registered safety net family, has a concession card too
The family contact and dependant form a concessional family and are eligible for the concessional safety net threshold.
- the partner of the registered safety net family contact is also part of their safety net family
- however the partner doesn’t have a concession card
The partner isn’t part of the concessional family and isn’t eligible for the concessional safety net threshold.