Farm Household Allowance business income reconciliation

To calculate Farm Household Allowance, we compare your estimated and actual business income. We reconcile your business income at the end of each financial year.

Reconciliation for 2015-16

If you were getting Farm Household Allowance in 2015–16, you needed to send us your income tax returns and financial statements by 30 June 2017. If you haven’t done this, your payment may be cancelled.

We may ask you to pay money back. If the Australian Taxation Office has given you an exemption or extension, you must send us proof. You can upload documents via your MyGov account, or supply them in person. Contact your Farm Household Case Officer or the Farmer Assistance Hotline for more information.

Waiver of reconciliation debts for 2014-15

You don’t have to repay business income reconciliation debts from 2014–15. However, you do have to repay any Farm Household Allowance debts after this in full.

This waiver doesn’t cover debts:

  • where there’s evidence of fraud, or
  • where you haven’t met your mutual obligations

Despite the waiver, you must still provide documents to follow the reconciliation process.

The reconciliation process

There are 3 steps in the reconciliation process:

Step 1: Estimate your farm’s business income

When you apply for Farm Household Allowance, we'll ask you to:

  • estimate your business income for the current financial year, and
  • every financial year after that

You can update your income estimate any time during the year. You must tell us within 14 days.

Changes may affect the amount of Farm Household Allowance you get.

Step 2: Submit your income tax return and financial statements

After submitting your tax return to the Australian Taxation Office, you must send us:

If you're no longer getting Farm Household Allowance, you still need to send us your documents. Otherwise, the amount you get that financial year will count as debt.

You should let us know if you get an extension on your tax return.

How to submit your documents

You can submit your documents:

Department of Human Services
Rural and Climate Change Services
Reply Paid 7816

Step 3: We'll reconcile your actual business income against your estimated business income

We compare your tax returns and financial statements with your estimated business income. This allows us to work out your Farm Household Allowance.

We’ll tell you:

  • if you’ll get a top up payment
  • need to repay an amount, or
  • if there’s no change


If you need to repay a debt, we’ll let you know how much.

You can still get Farm Household Allowance while repaying a debt.

You can ask for a review of a decision.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017