How to pay child support

There are different ways to make child support payments.

Private Collect or self management

If you use self management or Private Collect, you don't need to tell us your payment plans. You both need to understand and agree on them.

It's important you keep records to show the payments are for child support, including:

  • who received the payment and when
  • who the payment was for
  • how much the payment was

Some of the most common payment methods for self management or Private Collect are below. Check your bank or credit union for any fee details.

Payment option What you need to do
Cash Keep receipts and records.
Bank transfer If you transfer child support to the other person, include child support in the description field so it appears on their bank statement.

Ask your employer to transfer directly from your pay to the receiving parent's bank account. Ask them to record the transfer as child support.

Cheque Find out from your bank or credit union how long a personal cheque will take to clear.
Money order or financial institution cheque

Get a money order from Australia Post, or a cheque from your bank or credit union.

Child Support Collect

Child Support Collect means we collect and transfer the payment on your behalf.

Choose from the payment methods below.

Payment option Details What you need to do


Your employer deducts child support payments from your pay.

We give your employer written notice. Give them time to adjust their payroll.

You’ll need to use another payment option until this starts.

Call us to talk about employer deductions.

BPAY® You can use phone or internet banking.

Biller Code: 201509

Reference Number: your 16 digit payment reference number with no spaces.

Bank transfer You can transfer funds from your account to ours.

This is on your payer account statement.

  • Account Name: Department of Human Services
  • Child Support Account Number: 116755
  • BSB Number: 092009

You must include your 16 digit reference number with no spaces in the description field.

BillPay You can use BillPay at any Australia Post Office. You'll need a payment advice slip. It's on your payer account statement. Keep the receipt.
Credit or debit card You can pay through the Government EasyPay system with Visa or MasterCard. Pay online or over the phone. There are fees for this service. You should think about whether this is the most cost effective option for you to pay child support. You should seek financial advice if you’re not sure of the best option for your current situation.

You’ll need your 16 digit payment reference number with no spaces on your payer account statement.

Logon to Government EasyPay or call 1300 676 420.

Express Plus Child Support mobile app Pay through our mobile app using a Visa or MasterCard. There are fees for this service.

You need a current Visa or MasterCard. Sign in to the Express Plus Child Support mobile app.

Mail Send us a cheque or money order.

Make each cheque or money order to the Department of Human Services, Child Support.

Attach the payment advice slip on your payer account statement with the payment.

Send this to:

Department of Human Services
Locked Bag 11
A'Beckett Street
Melbourne VIC 8006
Income support payments We can deduct your child support from payments you get from us or the Department of Veterans' Affairs. Call the child support line for more information.
If you use Child Support Collect, we can enforce outstanding child support payments. Read more about overdue child support payments.

Non-agency payments

Payments we may recognise as child support

Even if we collect and transfer regular child support payments for you, you can still make other payments that we may count as a child support payment. We call these non-agency payments.

It’s important you talk to the other parent before you make any of these payments so you know if you both agree that the payment you make is a child support payment. Call us if you'd like to discuss a non-agency payment.

If you both agree it's a child support payment

We can credit 2 types of payments:

  • direct payments from the paying parent to the receiving parent, and
  • payments to a third party

Examples of third party payments include:

  • food
  • clothing
  • household goods
  • rent
  • mortgage payments
  • health insurance
  • payments for essential medical or dental
  • school fees
  • child care expenses
  • credit card repayments
  • travel or holiday expenses
  • household bills such as gas, electricity, phone or council rates
  • motor vehicle expenses
  • sporting expenses, and
  • non-cash payments, such as a transfer of property or household repairs

If one of you doesn't agree it's a child support payment

We can credit some non-agency payments even if the person receiving child support doesn't agree.

We call these prescribed non-agency payments.

When we’ll credit a prescribed non-agency payment

We can credit up to 30% of child support as a prescribed non-agency payment. We only do this if the paying parent is paying at least 70% of their monthly child support liability on time.

We only credit a prescribed non-agency payment if the paying parent has less than 14% care for the children. This is because if you have more than 14% care, your care counts towards the cost of raising them.

Read more about how your percentage of care affects your child support payments.

Prescribed non-agency payments

Examples of prescribed non-agency payments include:

  • child care costs
  • school fees
  • school uniform and book fees
  • essential medical and dental items
  • the receiving parent's share of rent or mortgage payments
  • the receiving parent's share of utilities and rates
  • some motor vehicle costs

Read more about these payments on the Child Support Guide.


Jodie and Phil have 2 children, Steven and Gemma. Jodie pays $200 a month in child support to Phil.

Jodie pays $600 in school fees and asks us to credit the payment. Phil doesn't agree this payment counts as child support.

School fees are a prescribed non-agency payment, and Jodie has less than 14% care of the children. This means we don't need Phil's agreement and we can credit the payment as child support.

As long as Jodie pays $140, or 70% of her normal child support payment, on time every month then the credit from the school fees can make up the other $60, or 30%.

This will happen until you have used the whole $600 credit for the school fees.

Child support and your FTB

The way you choose to collect your child support may affect your FTB payments.

Read more about child support and your FTB Part A.

Page last updated: 18 January 2018