You can get a new Medicare card if your card is lost, stolen or damaged.
If your Medicare card gets lost, stolen or damaged you can:
- request a new card using your Medicare online account through myGov or the Express Plus Medicare mobile app
- call the Medicare general enquiries line – we’ll confirm your identity over the phone
- visit a service centre with proof of your identity such as your driver’s licence
- send us a signed letter by mail and include
- your Medicare card number
- your address, and
- a certified copy of identification such as your driver's licence
We’ll cancel your old card when we issue your new card.
If you’re overseas, we can’t replace your card until you return. This includes if you’re:
- an Australian citizen who’s overseas for more than 5 years
- an Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen who’s overseas for more than 12 months