Moving to an area of lower employment prospects

If you move and it reduces your chances of finding work, you may need to serve a non-payment period of 26 weeks.

This non-payment period can apply if you move when getting, or in the 26 weeks before claiming, one of these payments:

To decide, we compare factors at your old and new addresses, including:

  • size of labour markets, and
  • unemployment rates

We’ll let you know when you claim or update your address if you’ll have a non-payment period. If you’re thinking of moving and want to know how it may affect your payment, contact us.  

You may not have the non-payment period applied if:

  • your old and new addresses are in the same town and postcode
  • you’re moving to, or within 90 minutes travel from:
    • Sydney
    • Melbourne
    • Brisbane
    • Perth
    • Adelaide
  • your new home is within:
    • 90 minutes travel from your original home, or
    • 60 minutes travel if you’re the principal carer of a child or have a partial capacity to work
  • you provide proof of better job prospects, such as a job offer, vacancy data or skills in need in your new area
  • you have a good reason for moving, such as:
    • to accept or start an offer of suitable employment
    • to live with an immediate family member who already lives there
    • you get Youth Allowance and move to live with your parents
    • to treat or ease a physical disease or illness and you have medical evidence
    • you were in an extreme or life threatening situation, such as family and domestic violence
    • you’ve been homeless and have been offered stable long-term housing in the new area

If you return to your original residence or move again to an area that improves your job prospects this may cancel the remaining non-payment period.

Page last updated: 7 August 2018