You can only get Newstart Allowance while outside Australia if we approve the reason for your travel.
When we can approve your travel
We can pay Newstart Allowance outside Australia for up to 6 weeks if the reason for your trip is:
- an acute family crisis – for example to visit a family member who’s critically ill
- to get eligible medical treatment that you can’t get in Australia
- to attend a memorial service approved by the Australian Government, or
- to take part in the Paralympic Games
Defence Force Reserves
If you leave for an Australian Defence Force Reserves training camp, you keep getting Newstart Allowance for the whole time you’re training.
When we can’t pay you outside Australia
Your Newstart Allowance will stop when you:
- leave Australia to live in another country, or
- leave Australia for any amount of time if we haven’t approved your reason for travel
New Zealand citizens
If you’re a New Zealand citizen on Newstart Allowance because of a residence exemption and your payment stops while overseas, we won’t grant you another exemption when you return.
When to tell us about your travel plans
You should always tell us if you’re leaving Australia.
How to tell us about your travel plans
The easiest way is using your Centrelink online account through myGov.
Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.
If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by:
Read more about payments while outside Australia.