You may need to serve a 1 week waiting period if you're claiming some income support payments.
The ordinary waiting period applies if you claim:
We calculate the waiting periods that apply to you when we assess your claim. We’ll let you know if you have to wait.
You may be exempt if, at the time you claim:
- it's within 13 weeks of getting an income support payment from us or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Service Pension, Veteran Payment or Income Support Supplement, or
- you're a job seeker who’s eligible for the highest level of service from an employment services provider
We may waive the waiting period if you’re in severe financial hardship due to a personal financial crisis that has happened in the past 4 weeks. We may need evidence.
A personal financial crisis includes:
- unavoidable or unreasonable expenditure
- domestic or family violence
- being in prison or psychiatric confinement
- entering Australia on a qualifying humanitarian visa
- losing your home or damages to your home due to extreme circumstances