We may continue to pay Parenting Payment if you leave Australia for a short time. You must keep meeting Parenting Payment rules at all times.
When we can pay you
We can pay you for the first 6 weeks, if you or your children leave Australia temporarily.
We can pay you for more than 6 weeks if:
- you’re studying outside Australia as part of a full time Australian course
- you’re attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves
- you or your children move to a country covered under an international social security agreement
International social security agreements
Australia has an international social security agreement with some countries. If you travel to a country with an agreement that covers Parenting Payment Single, we may pay you indefinitely.
You have to be a widow to get this payment under an agreement. Some agreements have other rules that you’ll also need to meet.
When we can’t pay you
Parenting Payment will stop if you or your children:
- leave Australia to live in another country
- leave Australia for more than 6 weeks, return home, but then leave again within 6 weeks
When to tell us about your travel
You must tell us if you or your children:
- are going to live in another country
- are leaving Australia for more than 6 weeks
- had your payment stopped by us during your last overseas trip and you've been back in Australia for less than 6 weeks
You must also tell us if you’re travelling and:
- get paid under an international social security agreement
- have approval for payment as a single person when you have a partner, and you're leaving Australia to spend time with your partner
Otherwise you don’t need to tell us about your travel.
How to tell us about your travel plans
The easiest way is using your Centrelink online account through myGov.
Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.
If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by:
Parenting Payment rate while overseas
Parenting Payment and Pension Supplement rates generally don't change if you leave Australia for less than 6 weeks.
If you’re eligible for more than 6 weeks of payment, your rate will change:
- after 6 weeks if you're going temporarily
- on departure from Australia if you're leaving to live in another country
This means you’ll get your pension at an outside Australia rate.
Read more about payments while outside Australia.