Paying child support when you live outside Australia

If you live overseas excluding New Zealand, and pay child support through us to a parent who lives in Australia under an Australian assessment you need to provide us with details of your overseas income.

You must tell us your overseas income details if you:

  • live outside Australia
  • have an Australian child support assessment
  • pay a parent who lives in Australia

If you live in New Zealand

How we manage child support is different if you live in New Zealand.

Read about paying child support from New Zealand.

What to tell us

Tell us:

  • your income in the currency you earned it in - not in Australian dollars
  • what you earned in the financial year where you live - not the Australian financial year
  • about documents you have to prove that income

We use average exchange rates to convert your income into Australian dollars.

How to tell us

You can give us these details by:

If you don’t tell us

We may ask the maintenance authority in your country for that information.

How to pay

You can pay from outside Australia by:

  • EasyPay - credit or debit card
  • bank transfer
  • mail


Pay safely online 24/7 through Australian Government EasyPay. You can use your credit or debit card. There’s a small card payment fee.

Bank transfer

It’s safe and easy to transfer money from your overseas bank to Australia.

Your bank statement will show a record of each transfer.

Bank transfers can cost more than bank drafts. This is because your bank and the Australian bank will both charge fees.

Transfer payments to:

Reserve Bank of Australia
20–22 London Circuit
Canberra ACT Australia

Account name: Department of Human Services – Child Support
BSB number: 092 009
Account number: 116755
SWIFT Code (if needed): RSBKAU2S

Changing into Australian dollars

We pay the bank fee to change your payment into Australian dollars.

Exchange rates go up and down. This means the amount we credit to your account may be slightly different each time.


Post us a cheque or bank draft. Make sure it has:

  • Department of Human Services – Child Support as the payee
  • your 16 digit payment reference number - this on your payer account statement

Send it to:

Department of Human Services
GPO Box 9815
Melbourne VIC 3001

It can take up to 25 working days for these payments to get to us.

What happens next

When you pay, we:

  • add it as a credit in your child support account
  • transfer the money to the other parent. Normally we pay it into their bank account

If you don’t pay

If you don’t pay your child support, we may take enforcement action to collect the amounts owing. Read more about overdue child support payments

If you live in a reciprocating jurisdiction we can refer your case to the child support authority in your country. If we do this, that authority takes over responsibility for collecting payments from you. They will use a full range of enforcement actions under their law.

Call us if you would like to discuss paying child support when you live outside Australia.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017