You can choose how you get Family Tax Benefit (FTB).
Ways to get FTB
You can get FTB:
- as a lump sum after the end of each financial year, or
- as a fortnightly payment
We’ll automatically recommend a payment choice when you claim, or you can choose your own. It’s important to be aware of the best choice for your situation.
The fortnightly payment is available in a number of ways.
FTB Part A
There are 3 ways you can get FTB Part A if you claim fortnightly:
All your FTB Part A fortnightly
This choice is best if you're certain about estimating your income accurately.
The base rate of your FTB Part A fortnightly
If you're not sure about estimating your income accurately, and your family income is likely to be under $94,316, you can choose to get:
- the base rate of your FTB Part A fortnightly, and
- any other FTB Part A you're eligible for when we balance your payments after the end of the financial year
All of your FTB Part A after the end of the financial year
This choice is best if you aren't certain you can estimate your income accurately and your annual family income is high, but still likely to be under the income limit. You can wait until the end of the financial year to get your FTB Part A.
FTB Part B
There are 2 ways you can get FTB Part B if you claim fortnightly:
All of your FTB Part B fortnightly
You may want to get all your FTB Part B fortnightly if:
- you're a single parent, or
- either you or your partner don't expect to earn income this financial year
All of your FTB Part B after the end of the financial year
This is a good choice if you're a couple and:
- one of you is temporarily not working to care for a child, or
- the lower income earner isn't confident about estimating their income accurately
If eligible, you'll get your FTB Part B when we balance your payments after the end of the financial year.
Your payment choice affects other payments
If you get Rent Assistance with your FTB Part A, you may have extra payment choices. This depends on your FTB Part A payment choice.
|FTB payment choice||Rent Assistance choice|
|All of your FTB Part A fortnightly||You'll get Rent Assistance fortnightly with your FTB Part A|
|The base rate of FTB Part A fortnightly||You can get your Rent Assistance:
|All of your FTB Part A after the end of the financial year||You can get your Rent Assistance:
If you haven't provided proof of your rent before we may ask for this. You can submit your documents online.
The way you get your FTB may affect how you get Energy Supplement.
Read more about payment options for Energy Supplement.
We may adjust your FTB Part A and Part B payments
If you get your FTB fortnightly, we may adjust your ongoing payments automatically to avoid or reduce the risk of an overpayment.
Changing your payment choice
You can update your payment choice at any time using:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov by selecting Payment choice under the Family Assistance menu
- your Express Plus Centrelink mobile app by selecting Payment choices under the Family Tax Benefit heading found in the my finances tile
- Centrelink phone self service
We’ll automatically recommend a payment choice, but you can change it anytime. Your choice will stay in place until you change it again.
We can’t backdate payment choices unless you can prove financial hardship.