Registered care for Child Care Benefit

You can get Child Care Benefit if the carer of your child is registered as a carer with us.

From 2 July 2018, Child Care Subsidy will replace Child Care Benefit. From this date, we can no longer pay child care fee assistance for registered care. You can claim Child Care Benefit for registered care provided before 2 July 2018. You need to lodge your claim within 12 months of the date the care was provided.

Registered child care is provided by individuals who are registered as carers with us. It can include care provided by grandparents, relatives, friends, neighbours or nannies.

In some cases, it can also include care provided by individuals in private preschools, kindergartens and some outside school hour services, including before and after school care, vacation care and holiday programs.

It doesn't include care provided for schooling once your child begins the recognised primary level of school for each state.

Child Care Benefit for registered care is paid at a standard hourly rate for up to 50 hours per child per week if:

  • you and your partner are working, looking for work, training, or studying at some time in the week that care is provided, or
  • you and your partner meet an exception to that requirement

Page last updated: 22 February 2018