On the day you apply for a Low Income Health Care Card you must be in Australia.
You must also be living in Australia and an Australian citizen, or here on a:
- permanent visa
- Special Category visa
- Partner Provisional visa subclass, or
- Temporary Protection visa
To keep using your card
You must meet these rules for the whole time you’re using the card. For example, if you no longer hold a valid visa you can’t keep using the card.
How long you need to have been a resident
If you hold of one of the visas mentioned above, you must have lived in Australia for 104 weeks before you can get a card.
What may be different
You may be exempt from serving the 104 weeks if you:
- are an Australian citizen
- arrived in Australia as a refugee
- hold a specific visa subclass, or
- things have changed and you’re going through hardships beyond your control