Residence rules for Widow Allowance

On the day you claim Widow Allowance you must be an Australian resident and in Australia.

On the day you claim Widow Allowance, you must be:

You also need to be either:

  • widowed, divorced or separated from your partner while both of you were Australian residents
  • an Australian resident and have been in Australia for a total of 104 weeks
  • an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total - for at least 5 of those years, there must be no break in your residence
  • a refugee or former refugee
  • the family member of a refugee at the time they arrived in Australia, or
  • the holder of a visa subclass 852

To keep getting Widow Allowance

You must continue to be an Australian resident for as long as you get this payment.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018