RHCA - visiting from Belgium

To be eligible for Medicare you must be a resident of Belgium before arriving in Australia, and insured in the Belgian health system.

You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit for any medically necessary care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Belgium.

If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.

What’s covered

It covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital or out of hospital care
  • prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

Enrol in Medicare

To enrol, you need to visit a service centre with a completed Medicare enrolment application form and documents you need to show.

For treatment you had beforehand you can claim for an assessment of benefit after enrolling. Your benefit starts the day you arrived in Australia.

Documents you need to show

You’ll need to show your passport, and:

  • your valid Belgian Health Insurance Card, or
  • your European Health Insurance Card with the initials BE

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends when the first of these expires:

  • your Belgian Health Insurance Card
  • your European Health Insurance Card
  • your visa


If you’re here on a student visa, you’re eligible to enrol in Medicare.


You and your family are eligible for Medicare for the whole time you’re posted here as a diplomat.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017