RHCA - visiting from Finland

To be eligible for Medicare you must be a resident of Finland.

You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit for any medically necessary care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Finland.

If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.

What’s covered

It covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital or out of hospital care
  • prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

Enrol in Medicare

To enrol in Medicare you need to visit a service centre with a completed Medicare enrolment application form and documents you need to show.

For treatment you had beforehand you can claim for an assessment of benefit after enrolling. Your benefit starts the day you arrived in Australia.

Documents you need to show

If you’re a Finnish citizen

You’ll need to show your Finnish passport.

You may need to show at least 2 documents to prove you live in Finland.

If you’re not a Finnish citizen

You’ll need to show your passport, and:

  • your Sickness Insurance Card from the Finnish Social Insurance Institution
  • your valid European Health Insurance Card with the initials FI, or
  • 2 documents to proving you live in Finland

Documents proving you live in Finland:

  • work contract
  • rental or lease agreement or bond receipt
  • bank statement
  • evidence of child enrolled in childcare or school
  • property or contents insurance
  • gas, electricity, water or rates account

These must be marked with a date.

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends when your visa expires.


If you’re here on a student visa, you’re not eligible for Medicare.


You and your family are eligible for Medicare the whole time you’re posted here as a diplomat.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017