RHCA - visiting from Italy

To be eligible for Medicare you must be a citizen of Italy, and eligible to use Italy’s national health insurance.

You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit for any medically necessary care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Italy.

If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.

What’s covered

It covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital and out of hospital care
  • some prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

How to enrol in Medicare

To enrol, you need to visit a service centre with a completed Medicare enrolment form and documents you need to show.

If you had treatment beforehand, you can claim for an assessment of benefit after enrolling. Your Medicare benefit starts the day you arrived in Australia.

What documents you need to show

You’ll need to show your Italian passport, evidence of current visa, and:

  • your European Health Insurance Card with the initials IT
  • your valid Italian Health Insurance Card, or
  • a statutory declaration that says you can get medical and hospital care under Italy’s national health law

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends after 6 months, or sooner if 1 of these expires:

  • your European Health Insurance Card
  • your Italian health insurance cover
  • your visa

If you're a student

If you’re here on a student visa, you’re eligible to enrol in Medicare.

If you're a diplomat

You and your family are eligible to enrol in Medicare for the whole time you’re posted here as a diplomat.

Page last updated: 1 March 2018