RHCA - visiting from Malta

To be eligible for Medicare you must be a citizen of Malta, and a resident of Malta before arriving in Australia. This includes all the Maltese Islands.

You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit for any medically necessary care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Malta.

If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.

What’s covered

It covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital
  • prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

Enrol in Medicare

To enrol, you need to visit a service centre with a completed Medicare enrolment application form and documents you need to show.

For treatment you had beforehand you can claim for an assessment of benefit after enrolling. Your benefit starts the day you arrived in Australia.

Documents you need to show

You’ll need to show:

  • your Maltese passport
  • your Maltese identity card, or
  • proof you’re a dependent on someone else’s Maltese passport or identity card

You may need to show at least 2 documents proving you live in Malta:

  • work contract
  • rental or lease agreement or bond receipt
  • bank statement
  • evidence of child enrolled in childcare or school
  • property or contents insurance
  • gas, electricity, water or rates account

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends after 6 months unless your visa expires earlier.


If you’re here on a student visa, you’re not eligible for Medicare.


You and your family are eligible for Medicare the whole time you’re posted here as a diplomat.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017