RHCA - visiting from Netherlands

To be eligible for Medicare you must be a resident of the Netherlands before arriving in Australia, and use the Netherlands Health Insurance Scheme.

You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit for any medically necessary care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Netherlands.

If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.

What’s covered

It covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital
  • prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

Enrol in Medicare

To enrol, you need to visit a service centre with a completed Medicare enrolment application form and documents you need to show.

For treatment you had beforehand you can claim for an assessment of benefit after enrolling. Your benefit starts the day you arrived in Australia.

Documents you need to show

You’ll need to show your passport, and:

  • proof you’re in the Netherlands Health Insurance Scheme, or
  • your European Health Insurance Card with the initials NL

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends when the first of these expires:

  • your Netherlands health insurance
  • your European Health Insurance Card
  • your visa


If you’re here on a student visa, you’re eligible for Medicare.


You and your family are eligible for Medicare the whole time you’re posted here as a diplomat.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017