RHCA - visiting from Norway

To be eligible for Medicare you must be a resident of Norway, and a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme.

You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit for any medically necessary care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Norway.

If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.

What’s covered

It covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital and out of hospital care
  • some prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

How to enrol in Medicare

To enrol, you need to visit a service centre with a completed Medicare enrolment form and documents you need to show.

If you had treatment beforehand, you can claim for an assessment of benefit after enrolling. Your Medicare benefit starts the day you arrived in Australia.

What documents you need to show

You’ll need to show your passport, evidence of your current visa, and:

  • proof you’re in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme, or
  • your valid European Health Insurance Card with the initials NO

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends when the first of these expires:

  • your Norwegian health insurance
  • your European Health Insurance Card
  • your visa

If you're a student

If you’re here on a student visa, you’re not eligible for Medicare.

If you're a diplomat

If you’re a Norwegian diplomat you and your family aren’t eligible for Medicare.

Page last updated: 1 March 2018