RHCA - visiting from Sweden

To be eligible for Medicare you must be a resident of Sweden before arriving in Australia.

You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit for any medically necessary care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Sweden.

If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.

What’s covered

It covers:

  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital
  • prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

Enrol in Medicare

To enrol, you need to visit a service centre with a completed Medicare enrolment application form and documents you need to show.

For treatment you had beforehand you can claim for an assessment of benefit after enrolling. Your benefit starts the day you arrived in Australia.

Documents you need to show

If you’re a Swedish citizen

You’ll need to show your passport.

You may need to show at least 2 documents that prove you live in Sweden.

If you’re not a Swedish citizen

You’ll need to show your passport, and:

  • a Health Insurance Certificate from a Swedish Social Insurance office
  • your European Health Insurance Card with the initials SE, or
  • 2 documents showing you’re a resident of Sweden

Documents proving you’re from Sweden:

  • work contract
  • rental or lease agreement or bond receipt
  • bank statement
  • evidence of child enrolled in childcare or school
  • property or contents insurance
  • gas, electricity, water or rates account

When your cover starts and ends

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.

It ends on the day your visa expires.


If you’re here on a student visa, you’re eligible for Medicare.


You and your family are eligible for Medicare the whole time you’re posted here as a diplomat.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017