Someone to deal with us on your behalf

If you want someone else to deal with us, you can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.



You can choose someone to be your correspondence nominee or a payment nominee.

They can be a different person or organisation for each nominee type or the same for both.

This does not stop you from dealing directly with us.

You can cancel your nominee at any time by calling us or using your online account through myGov.

Centrelink correspondence nominee

Your correspondence nominee can do a lot of Centrelink things for you. This includes:

  • asking us questions
  • telling us of changes to your circumstances
  • completing and signing forms and statements
  • coming to appointments with you or, if appropriate, on your behalf, and
  • getting copies of your letters from us

Centrelink payment nominee

Your payment nominee gets and uses your Centrelink payments on your behalf.


  • can only use your payments to help you
  • must keep records of the payments and how they spent the money

Making a Centrelink nominee arrangement

You can do this online or by completing a form.


You can manage your nominee arrangements using your Centrelink online account.

Both you and the person you want to be a nominee need to have a Centrelink online account. If you don’t have one, register now.

Your nominee will need to respond to a nominee request in their Centrelink online account within 14 days.

By form

Fill in the Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf form. Then post or fax it to us or take it to a service centre.

We will need to see your nominee’s identity documents unless your nominee is an organisation.

Person permitted to enquire

You can choose someone just to enquire about your Centrelink payments and services.

They can be a person or an organisation.

How to appoint a person permitted to enquire

You can:

Status Resolution Support Services Payment

You can arrange for another person or organisation to enquire with us on your behalf about your Status Resolution Support Services payment.

Medicare representative

A Medicare representative can be:

  • someone you have appointed as your power of attorney
  • someone who a court or tribunal has appointed as your guardian and administrator
  • someone you choose as your authorised representative to act and make decisions for you if you have a disability

How to appoint a Medicare representative

Person with your power of attorney

Which Medicare business they can do for you depends on the type of power of attorney they have.

You will need to provide an original or a certified copy of the power of attorney document.

Guardian and administrator

Which Medicare business they can do for you depends on what you have stated in the order.

Your guardian or administrator must give us an original or certified copy of the guardianship or administrative order.

You can submit Power of Attorney and Guardianship and Administration Orders by post or at a service centre.

Authorised representative

Your authorised representative must:

  • be over 18
  • be your close friend or relation
  • not be your paid carer

You can authorise a person as a representative by:

  • completing an Authorisation to act on a person’s behalf form, and providing the following supporting documents
    • proof of identification for the nominated authorised representative
    • relation documents
    • evidence that you are unable to manage your own affairs

Submit your application and supporting documents by post as indicated on the form or at service centre.

Aged Care


You can appoint a nominee to deal with us on your behalf if you are in residential aged care or are getting a home care package.

Child Support representative

You can choose a person or organisation to be your child support representative. They will be able to:

  • ask us questions
  • give us information
  • have access to and discuss your child support information

This person must be 18 or older. They shouldn’t be:

  • a child who you paid or get child support for, even if they’ve turned 18
  • the other parent in your child support case

You can choose:

  • the date when they’ll stop being your representative
  • the details they can know and discuss
  • if they can arrange for you to pay us child support you owe
  • if they can update your contact details with us

They can’t:

How to appoint a Child Support representative

You can:

A letter of authorisation should tell us:

  • enough information to identify your representative
  • the details you want them to discuss with us
  • the date they’ll stop being your representative

Then submit it:

Page last updated: 27 August 2017