Special Benefit while travelling outside Australia

There are rules about when your Special Benefit can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Special Benefit outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you need to be travelling for an approved reason or your payment will stop on departure.

Most temporary protection type visa holders cannot be paid Special Benefit outside Australia for any reason.

Approved reasons for payment overseas

Special Benefit may be paid outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks for the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for humanitarian reasons, for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings, or
  • to receive eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia

When to tell us about your travel

You should always tell us if you are leaving Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected. You may need to phone us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017