Support for grandparent carers

Extra assistance if you are a grandparent caring for your grandchildren.

We have extra assistance if you are a grandparent caring for your grandchildren.

For the purposes of Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part B and Child Care Benefit, a grandparent of a child is the:

  • biological, adoptive or step grandparent of the child
  • biological, adoptive or step great grandparent of the child, or
  • parent or grandparent of a relationship parent of the child - a relationship parent is a person who is legally responsible for a child born as a result of artificial conception procedures or born under surrogacy arrangements

A grandparent also includes the current or former partner of a biological, adoptive or relationship grandparent or great grandparent. It does not include former partners of step grandparents and great grandparents.

FTB Part B

FTB Part B gives extra assistance to single parents including grandparent carers and couples with one main income.

If you are a grandparent carer, you may be eligible for FTB Part B if you care for a child at least 35% of the time and the child is:

  • younger than 16 years of age, or
  • a full time secondary student, up until the end of the calendar year that they turn 18 years of age

To continue to receive FTB Part B once your child is 13 years of age or older, you need to tell us you are a grandparent carer if you have not already done so. You can do this by calling us.

Grandparent Child Care Benefit

If you are a grandparent with primary care of your grandchild, and your grandchild is attending approved child care, you may be able to get extra help with child care fees.

Grandparent Child Care Benefit covers the full cost of approved child care for up to 50 hours per child per week. It is paid directly to your child care service.

Read more about Child Care Benefit.

Grandparent Advisers

Grandparent Advisers provide support for grandparents who have caring responsibilities for their grandchildren, as well as other non parent carers of children.

Read more about grandparent advisers.

Other support

We have other payments and services available for non parent carers.

Read more about support for non parent carers.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017