Support for grandparent carers

Extra assistance is available if you’re a grandparent caring for your grandchildren.

For the purposes of Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part B and Child Care Benefit, a grandparent of a child is the:

  • biological, adoptive or step grandparent or great grandparent of the child
  • parent or grandparent of a relationship parent of the child - a relationship parent is a person who is legally responsible for a child born as a result of artificial conception procedures or born under surrogacy arrangements, or
  • the current or former partner of a biological, adoptive or relationship grandparent or great grandparent

It doesn’t include former partners of step grandparents and great grandparents.

Family Tax Benefit Part B

If you’re a grandparent carer, you may be eligible for FTB Part B if you care for a child at least 35% of the time and the child is:

  • 0 to15 years , or
  • 16 to 18 years and a full time secondary student

When the child is 13 or over, you need to tell us you’re a grandparent carer if you haven’t already. You need to do this to keep receiving FTB Part B. You can do this by calling us.

Grandparent Child Care Benefit

You may be able to get extra help with child care fees if:

  • you’re a grandparent with primary care of your grandchild,
  • your grandchild is attending approved child care, and
  • you receive an income support payment

Grandparent Child Care Benefit covers the full cost of approved child care for up to 50 hours per child per week. We pay it directly to your child care service.

Read more about Child Care Benefit.

Grandparent Advisers

Grandparent Advisers provide extra support for grandparents who have caring responsibilities for their grandchildren. They can also provide support for other non-parent carers.

Read more about grandparent advisers.

Other support

There are other payments and services available for non parent carers.

Read more about support for non parent carers.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018