Supporting documents for Austudy

When claiming Austudy there’s information and documents you’ll need to complete your claim.

What are common documents

These are the documents you’ll usually need to answer questions in the claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process.

As you complete your claim you’ll answer questions that trigger requests for certain documents or information. Below are documents we usually ask for, you may not need all of them.


  • tax file number
  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas accounts details
  • payslips - for 8 weeks

Study and work

  • study details - planned and previous course information and enrolment details
  • any income you earn, such as from work, a small business or an investment property
  • employment separation certificate, if you recently stopped working
  • details of any scholarships

Living arrangements

  • rent certificate - if you pay rent to your parents they’ll need to sign a statutory declaration, signed and declared true before an authorised witness
  • housing, rental, property or real estate details
  • student or campus accommodation


  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details

When to provide documents

Any documents which apply to you will be listed as required within your claim on the Next steps page. You’ll need to provide these before you can submit your claim.

Other documents may be listed as supplementary. You’ll have 14 days after you submit your claim to lodge these.

We may then ask you for further information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances.

As well as some of the common documents listed above you might need to complete and submit these documents:

If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. If you don’t provide them within 14 days of the request, your claim may be rejected.

How to submit documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink app. You can also send them by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

You can only provide your identity documents by visiting a service centre, through an Agent or nominee, or by post.

Page last updated: 7 August 2018