Types of assurance of support

There are 2 types of assurance of support. Which one you need depends on the visa type.

1. Mandatory

To get some types of visas you must have an assurance of support. These are:

  • aged dependent relative
  • contributory parent, contributory aged parent, parent or aged parent
  • remaining relative

The assurer must give a bank guarantee.

2. Discretionary

Some visas may need an assurance of support. It's up to the Department of Home Affairs to decide in each case. These visa types are:

  • adoption
  • child
  • former resident
  • orphaned relative under 18

There's no need for a bank guarantee, unless the assurer is an incorporated or unincorporated organisation.

Page last updated: 17 January 2018