There are 2 types of assurance of support. Which one you need depends on the visa type.
To get some types of visas you must have an assurance of support. These are:
- an aged dependent relative visa
- a contributory parent or contributory aged parent visa
- a parent or aged parent visa
- a remaining relative visa
- a humanitarian entrant visa under the Community Support Program
The assurer must give a bank guarantee for all visa types except the Community Support Program.
Read more about the Community Support Program on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Some visas may need an assurance of support. It's up to the Department of Home Affairs to decide in each case. These visa types are:
- former resident
- orphaned relative under 18
If the assurer is an incorporated or unincorporated organisation, they must give a bank guarantee.