The Medicare Safety Net provides a higher Medicare benefit for out of hospital costs. Your doctor’s visit will still cost the same, but we’ll give you a higher benefit back.
You must meet certain rules before you’re eligible for us to pay a Safety Net benefit.
We calculate the Safety Net on a calendar year, 1 January to 31 December.
It applies to singles, or members of a registered Medicare Safety Net family.
If you’re registered as a family or couple, we combine your medical costs so that you are more likely to reach the thresholds sooner.
Types of safety nets
There are 2 Medicare Safety Nets:
- Original Medicare Safety Net (OMSN)
- Extended Medicare Safety Net (EMSN)
Types of thresholds
There are 3 Medicare Safety Net thresholds:
- OMSN – Original threshold
- EMSN – Extended Medicare Safety Net General threshold
- EMSN – Concessional and FTB Part A threshold