You can get ABSTUDY if you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian and meet certain criteria.
To get ABSTUDY, you must be all of the following:
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian descent
- identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
- accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived
- an Australian citizen and normally live in Australia
- covered under 1 of the 7 ABSTUDY Awards, and
- be studying an approved course or doing an Australian Apprenticeship
You can’t get ABSTUDY if you’re getting other financial help to study. For example, an income support payment.
Read more about school to work transitions, including the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program, on the Department of Education and Training’s website.
Read more about apprenticeships on the Australian Apprenticeships website.
ABSTUDY Policy Manual
We work out our ABSTUDY payments using the ABSTUDY Policy Manual.
To learn more about the policy, read the ABSTUDY Policy Manual on the Department of Social Services website.