You can get ABSTUDY if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and meet certain criteria.
To get ABSTUDY, you must:
- be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian descent
- identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
- be accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived
- be an Australian citizen and normally live in Australia, and
- be covered under 1 of the 7 ABSTUDY Awards - ABSTUDY Awards describe eligibility for the different payments and allowances available under ABSTUDY
You also must not be getting any other financial help for your study or apprenticeship. For example, another income support payment or a cadetship.
You have to be either:
- enrolled in an approved course, for example, at secondary school, TAFE or university
- doing tests or assessments for entry into an approved course or the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program, or
- doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship
Read more about school to work transitions, including the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program, on the Department of Education and Training’s website.
Read more about apprenticeships on the Australian Apprenticeships website.
ABSTUDY Policy Manual
We work out our ABSTUDY payments using the ABSTUDY Policy Manual.
To learn more about the policy, read the ABSTUDY Policy Manual on the Department of Social Services website.