Who can get a continence aids payment

To get a payment under the Continence Aids Payment Scheme you must meet certain criteria.

To get the Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS) you must:

  • be 5 years or older
  • have permanent and severe bladder or bowel incontinence
  • have one of the eligible neurological or other eligible conditions on the bladder and bowel website, and
  • be able to get a Pensioner Concession Card from us or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA), if your condition is not neurological - this can be as the main card holder or a dependant

Who can’t get it

You can’t get CAPS if:

  • you get home or residential care under the Aged Care Act 1997, and your care plan includes continence aids
  • you have a DVA Gold Card or White Card, and can get help through the DVA Rehabilitation Appliances Program
  • you have a funding package from the National Disability Insurance Scheme, and it includes continence aids
  • your incontinence:
    • will go away
    • is treatable, for example with pelvic floor exercises, bladder retraining, medicine or surgery
    • is night time bed wetting only
  • you’re in prison, or
  • you’ve been living overseas for 3 or more years in a row

Page last updated: 16 October 2017