Who can get Parenting Payment

You must meet certain criteria to get Parenting Payment.

You must meet the following to get Parenting Payment:

You may need to:

Principal carer rules

A principal carer is someone responsible for the day to day care, welfare and development of a child.

To get Parenting Payment you must be the principal carer of a child:

  • younger than 8 if you’re single, or
  • younger than 6 if you have a partner

If you share care, only one person at a time can be the principal carer of a child. This is generally the person who gives the greater amount of day to day care, such as a parent or guardian. If 2 people have equal care, either may nominate as the principal carer.

Page last updated: 17 October 2017