You can get Rent Assistance if you get a payment from us, more than the base rate of Family Tax benefit and pay rent.
You can get Rent Assistance if you:
- get a pension, allowance or benefit from us
- get more than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit
- fees in a retirement village
- board and lodging, or
- site or mooring fees if your main home is a caravan, relocatable home or a boat
You must pay more than a certain amount of rent each fortnight.
What may be different
If you’re under 25, there are special rules to get rent assistance. Please call us on your main payment number for more information.
Who can’t get it
You won’t get Rent Assistance if:
- you lease from a state or territory housing authority
- you own or are buying the home you live in, except relocatable homes
- you’re travelling away from the home you own for less than 12 months
- your bed in an approved residential aged care facility is subsidised by the Australian Government
- your partner gets Rent Assistance with Family Tax Benefit, or
- you get an allowance and your partner gets Rent Assistance with their pension