You can get Special Benefit if you're in severe financial hardship.
This payment can help if you:
- are in severe financial hardship due to circumstances beyond your control
- don’t earn enough to support you and your dependants
- can’t get any other income support payment, and
- meet residence rules
You can claim Special Benefit for a child if:
- you have custody
- your child is an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- you can’t get any income or family support payments because you’re not a permanent resident
- you’re in severe financial hardship
- you can’t support yourself and your child
Severe financial hardship
You’re in severe financial hardship if you:
- earn less than the highest Special Benefit fortnightly payment
- can’t improve your financial position, and
- have limited savings
For short term payments you must have no more than the fortnightly Special Benefit payment amount.
For long term payments you must have no more than $5,000.
For more information: