You can normally get Wife Pension while outside Australia provided your partner’s payment has not stopped.
The Pension Supplement is stopping for people who live overseas or travel outside Australia for more than 6 weeks.
Read more about 1 January 2018 changes to Pension Supplement for people overseas.
There are rules about how much we can pay you, based on how long you’re away for.
If you travel outside Australia
You can normally get Wife Pension for the whole time you’re outside Australia, even if you live in another country for a while.
Your payment rate may change depending on:
- how long you’re away
- if your income and assets change
- if your pension is through a social security agreement with another country with another country
When to tell us about your travel plans
You should always tell us if you’re leaving Australia.
How to tell us about your travel plans
The easiest way is using your Centrelink online account through myGov.
Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.
If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by:
Leaving to be in another country
If you leave to live in another country
After 26 weeks
You’ll get an outside Australia rate.
If you leave Australia for less than 6 weeks
Your Wife Pension rate normally won’t change.
If you leave Australia for more than 6 weeks
On departure your:
If you leave Australia for more than 26 weeks
If you were an Australian resident for:
- 35 years or more your rate normally won’t change
- less than 35 years you’ll normally get a lower rate, for example, if you were a resident for 10 years you’ll get 10/35ths of your usual rate
Your rate normally won’t change if you:
- were an Australian resident for 25 years or more, and
- were getting Wife Pension or another Australian social security payment while living outside Australia on 1 July 2014
What may be different
If you get Wife Pension under a social security agreement with another country, that agreement sets the amount you get while outside Australia.
Read more about payments while outside Australia.