Work, Training, Study test for Child Care Rebate

You and your partner need to have met the work, training, or study requirements during the week in which you used child care, or meet an exception.

There are different rules for the Child Care Benefit Work, Training, Study test. You are not required to meet the Child Care Benefit test to be eligible for Child Care Rebate.

Defining a work related commitment

A work related commitment is defined as 1 or more of these activities:

  • paid work, including self employment
  • setting up a business
  • training or studying
  • looking for work, or
  • voluntary work to improve your work skills

No minimum hours are required for these activities, with the exception of voluntary work that doesn't improve work skills which must be undertaken for at least 15 hours per week or 30 hours per fortnight.

Meeting the test for Child Care Rebate in other ways

You'll meet the test if you're:

  • on annual leave or long service leave
  • on sick or other paid leave
  • on paid or unpaid parental leave, for up to a maximum of 12 months
  • on self-employment leave, including sick leave
  • receiving Carer Payment
  • receiving Carer Allowance for an adult with disability
  • providing constant care for a person with disability, or
  • on carer leave or carer sick leave

Exceptions to the test for Child Care Rebate

You or your partner may meet an exception if either of you:

  • have disability, which might include receiving Disability Support Pension
  • are overseas, or
  • are in prison

If you meet an exception, your partner must still meet the test. If your partner meets an exception, you must still satisfy the test.

Your family may meet an exception if:

  • you or your partner is a grandparent with primary care of your grandchild
  • you or your partner is facing exceptional circumstances, or
  • you or your partner are receiving Carer Allowance for a child with disability

When to notify us of changes

You need to tell us if you or your partner:

  • start or stop work, training or study commitments
  • no longer meet requirements for an exception, or
  • now meet a requirement for an exception

You can update your work, training, or study details online by using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Page last updated: 12 May 2018