The main income support payment while you’re unemployed and looking for work.
- at least 22 but under age pension age
- looking for paid work
- under the income and assets test limits
- prepared to meet mutual obligation requirements
Youth Allowance for job seekers
Financial help if you’re 21 or younger and looking for work, or temporarily unable to work.
- you're 16 to 21, and
- looking for full time work or doing approved activities, or
- studying part time and looking for work, or
- temporarily unable to work
The main income support payment while you’re a young child’s main carer.
- have income under the limits
- meet principal carer rules and care for a child under 8 if you’re single or under 6 if you’re partnered
- meet residence rules
- can’t claim before the birth of a child
Centrelink payment summaries are now available
Your 2017-18 Centrelink payment summary details are pre-filled for you in myTax.
You can cancel your payment online
Cancelling your Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance payment online is fast and easy and helps you avoid a debt.
Making a claim? We need your tax file number
It’s important you give us your tax file number (TFN) when you claim.
Changes to getting your first Newstart and Youth Allowance payment
From 1 July 2018, you may need to meet with an Employment Services Provider before you get your first payment.
Intent to claim is stopping on 1 July 2018
You’ll no longer be able to submit an intent to claim for certain payments and concession cards. New rules will apply.
Family and domestic violence
We support people affected by family and domestic violence by providing information, resources and referrals.