Are you expecting a child?

6 February 2018

You can claim some family payments as early as 3 months before your baby arrives.

We know you’ve got a lot to think about when you welcome a new baby into your family. Submitting an early claim means the process will be easier once your baby arrives.

Family payments you can claim early include:

You can only claim Parenting Payment once your baby’s born.

Start your claim

Use your Centrelink online account to start your claim up to 3 months before your baby’s due date, or date of adoption. You’ll need a Customer Reference Number (CRN) and a myGov account to get started.

You can find your CRN on any letters we’ve sent you, or on your Health Care Card if you have one. If you don’t have a CRN or don’t know what it is, visit a service centre with your identity documents to get one.

Once your baby arrives

If you do submit an early claim, you’ll need to provide proof of birth or adoption once your baby comes into your care. You can do this using your smart phone and our Express Plus Centrelink app.

You can submit your documents online instead of coming in to a service centre. Don’t forget, we can’t finalise your claim until you do this.

Next steps

Read more about our range of payments and services for when you’re having a baby.

Find out how to register for a Centrelink online account or create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.

Read more news for families.

Page last updated: 21 June 2018