See if you can get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
You can use ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for the cost of travelling between your home and place of study.
This may include:
- travel between your home and place of study at the start and end of term
- travel between your home and graduation venue
- travel between your home and exam centre, if you’re doing a supplementary or deferred exam
You may get the allowance if:
- you’re living away from home to study
- you’re a full time secondary or tertiary student, or masters or doctorate student and you don’t get Relocation Allowance
- you’re getting ABSTUDY or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement
- you meet the other eligibility criteria
It covers the cost of the least expensive and most available form of public transport in Australia.
If you’re eligible we can pre-book your travel for you or you can claim the allowance after your trip.
Tips for claiming ABSTUDY Fares Allowance
- Request pre-booked travel at least 7 days before your travel if you’re a tertiary student.
- Keep a copy of your itinerary and receipts – if you claim the allowance after your journey, you’ll need to give us proof of your travel expenses.
If you get Youth Allowance it doesn’t mean you miss out. Read our article to see if you can get Fares Allowance.
Find out more about ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
Connect with us on social media.
Read more news for Indigenous Australians.