Are you under 18 and getting ABSTUDY Fares Allowance?
28 May 2019
From 1 July 2019, you must have a Safe Travel Plan for pre-booked travel. Here’s how to set one up.
About Safe Travel Plans
A Safe Travel Plan is a plan that’s agreed between you, your family and your school. It includes important details about your travel to help you get to where you’re going safely.
Your Safe Travel Plan includes:
- information about your travel
- who you’re travelling with
- who can help if something unexpected happens.
From 1 July 2019, you’ll need a Safe Travel plan if you’re all of the following:
- under 18
- a secondary student
- pre-booking travel using ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
Ask your school about putting a Safe Travel Plan in place. There’s a Safe Travel Plan template on the Department of Social Services website.
About Fares Allowance
ABSTUDY Fares Allowance helps with the costs of travelling between your home and place of study.
You may get it if you get ABSTUDY and need to live away from home to study.
You can use ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for any of the following approved trips:
- interviews or orientation at a school
- going to and from school each term or semester
- travel home for school holidays
- travel home if you’re sick or for compassionate reasons
- travel for a special purpose such as ceremonies, sporting events or graduation.
Page last updated: 28 May 2019