Child support when one parent lives overseas

21 January 2019

We may be able to help you arrange child support even if one parent doesn’t live in Australia.

We work with some countries to arrange child support payments. Child support payments are sometimes known as maintenance.

We call the countries we work with reciprocating jurisdictions.

If you live in one of these countries, we may be able to help you set up child support payments. We may also be able to do this if the other parent lives in one of these countries.

How we can help depends on your circumstances and where each parent lives. It also depends on the rules of the country.

It’s important to remember making child support arrangements across countries can be complex and take a long time.   

We can help you:

If you don’t pay maintenance on time, we may refer your case to authorities in your country. They will collect it from you.

Call us on the Overseas cases team line to discuss your options. You can also call us from outside Australia.

Next steps

Read more about:

Page last updated: 21 January 2019