Courses you can get a student payment for
6 November 2019
To get a student payment you must study an approved course. Find out how to check if a course has approval.
What sort of courses you can get a payment for
You may be able to get a student payment for the following types of courses:
- secondary school courses
- special school courses
- school-based apprenticeships
- courses to get you ready for tertiary study
- university or TAFE courses, including some masters courses
- English as a second language.
In most cases, you’ll need to study full time to get a student payment.
How to check if the course you want to do has approval
To get a student payment for courses at diploma level or above, the course must be eligible for Commonwealth assistance. This may include either:
- a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) or Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) loan
- a VET Student Loan.
You don’t need to take out a loan, the course just needs to be eligible for one.
For most courses, you can find out if they’re approved online. You’ll need to:
- find the course online
- check the course overview to see if it’s eligible for a VET Student Loan or offers Commonwealth Supported Places.
You can also check if the course provider has approval. Check if they’re on 1 of the following:
- VET Student Loans Approved Course Providers on the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business website.
- Providers that offer Commonwealth assistance on the Study Assist website.
If your course is new you might not find it online. You can contact us to find out if your course has approval or may get it soon.
Approved courses for ABSTUDY
If you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student, you can get ABSTUDY for the same courses as other students.
You can also get ABSTUDY for some extra courses if they are ABSTUDY approved. The course provider must have approval. Check with us to see if the course you want to do has approval.
You can also get ABSTUDY for all Masters and Doctorate level courses at approved education providers.
What to do next
Read more about approved courses for:
Read more news for students and trainees. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news highlights.
You may be able to get a student payment if you’re studying at university, TAFE or doing an apprenticeship.
Page last updated: 7 November 2019