Do you have a 2015-16 family assistance non lodger debt?

3 November 2017

Your Family Tax Benefit (FTB) payment will stop if you don’t act now.

If you have a 2015-16 family assistance non-lodger debt, we sent you a FTB Account Payable notice in September. If you don’t take action to resolve the debt, your FTB payments will stop.

Your payments can continue if you resolve the debt now.

What you need to do

You and your partner need to:

  • lodge a tax return for 2015-16,
  • tell us you don’t need to lodge one, or
  • repay the debt in full.

You need to do this even if you only received FTB for part of the financial year.

If you don’t need to lodge a tax return, tell us with the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. In the app, select Advise Tax Non-lodgement from the Menu.

You can also tell us using your Centrelink online account through myGov. Select Family Assistance, then select Advise non-lodgement of tax return from the Menu.

If you’ve lodged a tax return, you don’t need to do anything else. We’ll get the information we need from the ATO once they process your return.

If you don’t do anything

Your FTB payments will stop in mid-November. We can’t pay you again until you lodge the tax return or tell us that you don’t need to lodge or pay the debt in full.

It’s important you talk to us if you’re worried about paying back a debt. We can work with you to manage your debt and set up a repayment plan you can afford.

Need more information

Find out if you need to lodge a tax return by using the do I need to lodge a tax return tool on the ATO website.

Got questions? Save time and ask us at Family Update on Facebook or tweet @FamilyUpdateAU.

Read more:

Page last updated: 23 November 2017